8.19.2009

Better than Bueno

And by that, I mean better than Taco Bueno! I've really been a health kick lately, logging miles of running and eating balanced meals. But I still have 'one of those days' every now and then and yesterday was a perfect example. Severe thunderstorms had kept me up the night before and I was like a zombie at work. Last week I over-trained and have been on the verge of a hamstring strain, plus I worked out my abs to the core and by yesterday I was feeling like I had been pummeled with a baseball bat. On days like that it's easy to leave work and just think "I'll swing by Taco Bueno and pick up dinner" (on the way home, literally around the corner). Well, I instead decided to go straight home and make my own healthier version of Mexican food. This meal has become a staple in my house and it's so easy, quick and low in fat.

Cheesy Chile Enchiladas


3-4 servings (1 enchilada)
6-8 oz of cooked chicken (last time I used Morningstar Farms soy crumbles and it worked great--last night I had some leftover baked chicken and just cut it up to use)
1/2 c lite sour cream
1/2 c salsa
3/4 - 1 c reduced fat Mexican cheese or sharp cheddar
4 oz can of diced green chiles
3-4 whole wheat tortillas (I have also used corn tortillas)

1 can enchilada sauce (1-1 1/2 c)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the sour cream and salsa. Coat the bottom of a small casserole dish with enchilada sauce (
since it's just for me, I use a dish that holds 4 corn enchiladas or 3 larger whole wheat tortillas, but 8x8 should work fine). To assemble the enchiladas, lay out each tortilla and spoon 2 T of the sour cream mixture down the middle, add about 2-3 oz of the chicken (substitute any meat or non-meat here--beef, beans, soy, tempeh, etc). Sprinkle on some chiles and 1 to 2 T of the cheese. Roll up as tight as possible and arrange in the dish. Once you've assembled all of the enchiladas, top with remaining enchilada sauce, the remaining chiles and the remaining cheese. Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
Edited to add: Recently added pico de gallo to the recipe...MUY BUENO!!

3 comments:

Linda said...

That is an excellent photo!! And it looks dellicious. I'm so glad you finally posted the recipe. The only thing I would add would be jalapenos. ;)

Jenni said...

I am making them today and will be using some jalapenos! I bought a jar of sliced jals and poured it into the food processor to make it more of a salsa--easier to add to dishes. You are welcome to come over for a bite! :)

Linda said...

Hey I'm ready!! Or you could make them for us. But without the jals for your Dad ;)