1.18.2011

Update


Wow, what happened to Jenni-isms???!!!

I've never gone this long without blogging...and, ironically, there is SO much more to blog about! I've been busy and loving every minute of my life. I truly enjoy having a blog as a journal that reflects my thoughts, goals, ups/downs, and every day life. I'm going to do my best to get back to my most favorite blog ever and ALL of my fans :)

Here is what has been a-happenin' in the land of Jenni-isms:

1) I went for a run last night...first time since OCTOBER, people. It was exhilarating! I sometimes forget about my serious love affair with the pavement. But each time I step back out there I am reminded instantly of why I run. Mike the Trainer and I have worked out a nice new schedule of 1 hour sessions every Tuesday and Thursday. This leaves the rest of the week to work on cardio. I'm still determined to take up swimming eventually, but for now I plan to run at least 3 times a week, hit up the elliptical at the gym or a spin class a few times a week. Have I mentioned that I've lost 18 pounds since moving to Dallas??!! Yay, me!

2) I am falling hopelessly and happily in love with my handsome man. Since our very first phone conversation (he called me Nov 18) we have been together. It will be 2 months this week but it feels like longer...and that's a good thing. We are definitely in a "relationship" and it's the real deal, folks. We are committed to each other, to being open and honest, to enjoying every moment we're given, and we are hopeful for our future together. It's more than I ever thought it could be...and keeps getting better. He is my sweet boyfriend and I couldn't be more happy and proud.

3) I've been cooking up a storm. I mean a STORM. I hate that I haven't documented my adventures because the recipes I have tried are amazing and turned out great! I suddenly found myself wanting to cook for my handsome man all the time and have turned somewhat DOMESTIC. *shock* What?! Domestic?? Yup. And I'm loving every second of it! I love to cook and see satisfaction on the faces of those who experience my creations. I have a long way to go before I can claim to be a great cook (like Mom and my late Grandma Ruby). But I'm very comfortable in the kitchen (well, Handsome Man's kitchen as he has a great big house). The last month or so I've made Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Spinach and Bacon Mac 'n Cheese, Blue Ribbon Chili, Classic Pot Roast, Cinnamon Chocolate Bread, Shiner Bread, and Cookie Dough Truffles. Handsome Man is very content, indeed (and lucky!)

4) I get to see my besties in a month!! Karen, one of my oldest and dearest friends, is getting married on Feb 5! She is marrying her best friend and the love of her life, Jeff. Now, even though I have yet to meet this man, I have no doubt they will live happily ever after. I've never seen or heard Karen this way before...her relationship with Jeff has transformed her into an even more beautiful, loving, thoughtful person and she literally glows with love. I can't wait to introduce Handsome Man to Karen and Katie. It will be our first road trip as a couple and will be a great time!

5) Last Saturday I started a new volunteer gig. I researched some local animal shelters and decided to apply as a volunteer with the Frisco Humane Society (Handsome Man lives in Frisco and I LOVE, LOVE the town...plus I spend most of my weekends there). I met up with Angie from FHS at the Frisco Petsmart where they have the adoptions every weekend. They need help with the cat side of things and I am more than okay with that. I spent 2 hours there learning how to become an Adoption Counselor. Basically I try to help those looking to adopt a cat by finding out what they are looking for, what their living arrangements are, and let them interact with the kitties. It's actually quite a big responsibility as I decide ultimately who gets to adopt. You can only ask so many questions and use intuition, but you always hope and pray that an animal ends up in a happy, loving home. There are so many success stories and I am bound and determined to do everything I can for those furry felines! :) I've also been asked to help out with one of their computer databases to help keep things organized. I definitely feel this is where I am supposed to be and will dedicate as much time as possible to this cause.

6) Um, did I mention that I finally graduated???? Yup, back in December I became an official graduate of the University of Oklahoma. It was pretty awesome. I drove up to Norman to pick up my cap and gown, walked around campus, and reveled in the feeling of being a Sooner. Mom and Dad attended the small ceremony for my college and we celebrated with lunch afterward. I am considering grad school and have signed up to take the GRE, but we'll see...for now I'm enjoying my well-deserved free time.

8) College football season is over :( But I am starting to get more into the NFL so at least I get to stretch out football for a bit longer. I can't wait until next season because I plan to attend more Sooner games. And it's even more fun because now I am dating a Texas Tech Raider who will go to the games with me (I like to remind him constantly that we kicked their hineys last season 45-7).

7) For the Christmas holiday we drove down to The Woodlands to stay with my brother and his family. They couldn't make it to my graduation but they had a big congrats sign and an awesome cake for me! Plus, the kids all made me special cards and I felt like the most loved Aunt ever. We had a great holiday and I just adore my family. Oh, and I actually won the poker tournament for the first time EVER in the history of family game night. Vegas, here I come...

So that's it in a very condensed nutshell. 2011 has welcomed me with open arms and I am embracing every moment! Here are some pics of the last few months...

Mom and me, graduation day

My cake and homemade cards

Mom, me, Dad at their Christmas party

Me & Handsome Man at my company Christmas party

Me & Handsome Man celebrating his birthday

Aunt Jenni and her Rugrats
 
3-2-1...Happy New Year!!!


1 comment:

Linda said...

YAY, you're back! What a happy post--I loved every word.