7.30.2009

Gross (in my book=Cool)

For a few years I have been obsessed with watching medical mystery shows on TV. For instance, Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health Channel (DHC). I can do without the silly closeups of people's faces and the 'dramatic' reinactments, but the overall concept intrigues me. I love hearing about misdiagnosed or rare diseases as well as the symptoms. Perhaps it stems from some minuscule hypochondriac tendencies, but I'd like to think I just enjoy learning about microbiology and physiology of the human body. Other, more graphic shows I watch include Trauma: Life in the ER (on TLC) and Impact: Stories of Survival (also on DHC)...lots of broken bones, live footage of ER trauma and followups on injuries. When I can, I also catch I Was Bitten on Discovery Channel. But my newest obsession is a show called Monsters Inside Me (DHC). When I first read the title of the show on my DVR guide, I really had no idea what the show might entail. Then I read the description: Stories of mysterious illnesses not caused by viruses or bacteria but stealthy, cunning creatures that have taken up residence in their unsuspecting hosts — parasites! Every story is a life-or-death battle between modern medicine and evolution as these patients fight off the MONSTERS INSIDE ME.

I watched it last weekend and it was pretty cool. Again, I can do without the closeups of the people detailing their experience--just show the blood and guts already! :) But I love learning about all kinds of 'stuff' out there just lurking, waiting to strike and wreak havoc. Hey, there's nothing wrong with being more aware of my surroundings, right??

I'm not weird, I promise...just a bit of a curious nerd.

2 comments:

Linda said...

You are kind of a nerd, but I'm glad. :)

Gross = gross in my book. ;)

Anonymous said...

You should read this book:
STIFF
It is all about what happens to cadavers & is terribly fascinating!

Karen (Jam)