7.27.2009

Saturday fun

We celebrated my Grandma's and my Aunt Jo's birthday this past Saturday (their birthdays are actually this Friday). Lots of family came over and it was great! Unfortunately, we didn't get many pictures (it was a full house). I made a cake and some layer dip, but we only got a pic of the dip. Apparently the cake was quite good *toots own horn* and mom has requested that I make it again. This way it can get the close-up it deserves! :) I followed a Barefoot Contessa recipe for Honey Vanilla Pound Cake which we served with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream. I adapted the 7-layer dip from a few different recipes. More on the cake later, but here is the dip:

Jenni's Layer Dip

serves 12

1 pkg taco seasoning (I used low sodium)
1 can fat free refried beans
8 oz light cream cheese
16 oz light sour cream
16 oz jar of salsa
6 oz chopped black olives
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 c chopped green onions
1.5 c chopped tomatoes
1.5-2 c chopped lettuce

Blend taco seasoning with beans and spread as first layer onto a large platter. Mix the sour cream and cream cheese and spread over the beans. Top with a layer of salsa. Sprinkle on the black olives and top with the cheese. Finish with a layer of shredded lettuce, green onions and tomatoes. I made this a day ahead (up to the salsa layer) and the flavors really worked well. It was a hit!!
After the family left, I went with mom and dad to their HOA picnic (they are the secretary and treasurer). It was so much fun! The weather was warm but with a breeze and the people were great. I lost to Dad at horseshoes, met the perfect baby (I basically 'borrowed' him from his parents the whole time and didn't want to give him back), and chilled out. It was a marvelous weekend...

1 comment:

Linda said...

I can't wait for you to make it again ;) Thanks again for doing everything for me! It was a wonderful day.