10.12.2009

OKC Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

'Twas a success! I was up at 6:00 am on a Saturday which is just unheard of for me, and it was pitch black outside when I headed over to Mom and Dad's house. But the beautiful sun was coming up as we headed downtown for the festivities. Despite the fact that it was 41 degrees and there were over 16,000 people there, we had a blast! I completed the 5K in 38 minutes which I am very proud of because I set a goal time of 43:00. I am more of a slow distance runner so speed is not a factor for me! But having all of those other runners around me kept my pace up really well. It was pretty exciting and there were all sorts of people there. My mom was only going to do the 1 mile but she never saw the sign to turn around and ended up walking the entire 5K! I was very proud of her and she was glad she did it. Dad was there to support us and take pictures (even though he DESPISES the cold weather!). After the race we got into the warm car and headed to Jimmy's Egg for a yummy breakfast. It was a great morning and I loved spending it with my two besties, Mom and Dad.

When we got back to their house, we showered and then mom and I hit the mall for some shopping! After dropping 30 pounds the last 4 months (yes, yippee, but I still have about 30-40 to go until I'm happy), it was time for some new clothes! It was pretty exciting to shop at a normal department store and get some really nice clothes (I admit, being overweight I wasn't in the mood to shop and bought cheap clothes at Wally). I had forgotten how much fun shopping can be! And Mom was a great little helper. I found some snazzy outfits, including one for the reunion next weekend!

After shopping I was exhausted and headed home for a nap. I spent the rest of the day literally on the couch, under a blanket, trying to get warm! It was heaven. But today it's back to the
grind...our office move is Wednesday and we are packing and organizing. My flight to H-town leaves Thursday afternoon and I'll have a mini-vacay for 4 days. The weather in Houston will not be nearly as nice as the weather here in OK, but I think I can handle it for a few days!

Here are some pics from the race...we'll be there next year again for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big hand-slap! LOL at "besties" :) Saturday was an awesome day!