3.15.2010

St. Paddy's Great Race of the Great Plains

Date: 3/13/2010
Time: 10:15 am
Location: Lake Hefner
Temp: 53 degrees, sunny and windyRoute: 8K, flat course along the lake

The weather was beautiful and it was a fun Saturday morning. The above picture was my view the entire time. For some reason this race started later than most but I certainly didn't mind since I was able to sleep in a bit! I had never run along Lake Hefner before and it was so pretty. There are trails all along the lake and I always see people running, walking the dog, biking, etc. Well, I am already planning to run there more often, especially as the weather warms up. Okay, on to the race. Because it was a St. Paddy's race, everyone was encouraged to wear green and there was even a contest for those dressed as a leprechaun (the sponsors gave away iPods to the top 3 costumes). I wore a fun shirt with lots of Irish-saying buttons, some green beads, and a big green ribbon in my hair. I had gotten there early and had plenty of time to warm up. I walked and jogged a good 10 minutes before start time. Finally we all gathered behind the start line...there were maybe 250 people there? It wasn't a lot and thankfully we were not clustered. I was able to start running and not worry about weaving my way through anyone. Although, maybe I didn't have to weave through anyone because they were way ahead of me. :)
I felt a little like I was starting too fast, but found another gal about my size and we stayed together, pacing each other for about the first 2 miles. I had my music on, kept in touch with my breathing, and just enjoyed the view. Unfortunately, we looped around and could see the front of the pack (i.e. all the fast people) coming back our way as they looped around. I just don't like those kinds of routes because it makes me feel even slower. But I kept smiling and kept running. By mile 2 I was a little tired...I'm not a morning runner and don't have all that much energy in the AM. This was one of those runs were a lot of mental "talking" got me through. I had my play list going in my ears, but honestly, I don't remember much of the music. I thought a lot about the upcoming half-marathon and tried not to psych myself out. I was constantly surprised at my pace and kept thinking "slow down, or you'll never push through the end." But I really never slowed down.

Here's where I start to dislike this particular race. Though it was a gorgeous route, the organization of the race was poor. There were water stops up to about mile 2-2 1/2. THEN I NEVER SAW ANOTHER ONE. Come on, I don't even start to get thirsty until about mile 3 or 4. But nothing. I was really tired and thirsty. I struggled during the last mile and had NO energy. I was having to THINK about running and concentrate on my form. Normally I don't have to think about this as I am just out there enjoying the run. But I'm pretty sure not eating enough beforehand and not eating a very good dinner the night before (pop tarts, anyone?) certainly hindered my performance. I crossed the finish line and was so happy to PR this race. BUT I wanted some water ASAP. Some guy was hounding me for my chip (which I didn't have for this race) and I asked him where the water was. Normally, someone hands you a bottle of water after you finish a race. Not only did no one offer me water at the finish line, but there was NO water left anywhere. I asked THREE "official race people" and they acted like it was no big deal but there wasn't any water.

Granted, I was not a fast finisher and most of the 'elite' runners were already eating pizza and drinking green beer. They were all waiting on the trophy ceremony when I crossed the finish line, dying of thirst. I was so angry and tired at that point that I cursed under my breath, shook my head in disgust, and promptly walked to my car to leave. Not having water for EVERY race finisher is a no-no. I paid my $20 for the race and that should include water...at least a Dixie cup! All in all, it was a neat race location and a personal best for me. But other than that I was not impressed.

Here is a frightening post-race picture...
ImageChef.com

Official Garmin data:
5.02 miles
59: 48

Splits:
Mile 1 - 11:42
Mile 2 - 11:29
Mile 3 - 11:45
Mile 4 - 12:21
Mile 5 - 12:09

2 comments:

Linda said...

You did great!

Great pic of the lake and hilarious pic of you. ;) That's too bad about the attitude of the "officials"--maybe that race has a reputation and why there weren't as many at that race.

Meredith said...

Love the headline shot!