5.06.2010

The Heat Cometh

The weather is beautiful here but the heat...the heat is not beautiful. Yesterday I couldn't believe how pretty it was and how great I felt for the first 10 minutes of my run after work. I went through a different neighborhood this time, trying to avoid hills (conclusion: this is impossible in my town) After those first fun 10 minutes, the heat and blazing sun started to get to me. I was planning on a nice 4 mile run but ONE mile in I started to get worried. Digestive issues decided they wanted to join the party as usual so that was not far from my mind. Then I realized my new Amphipod bottle was not sufficient enough as far as water capacity. I am a runner who is thirsty throughout the entire run--anything over 2 miles. I drink water all day and I still need it when I run. I bought a 12-oz bottle because it is small and convenient but it wasn't enough. I was so hot and tired that I actually had to stop and walk up some of the hills. I am not a fan of stopping, only because it makes it harder to get going again, PLUS it means I will not reach my destination any faster. As I walked I desperately looked around at houses for a hose in order to steal some much-needed water. But I didn't see any that were easily accessible. And I couldn't believe no one had their sprinklers on!!! I hate when I get so hot that I feel a little nervous about heat stroke and stomach issues and feeling faint. It's only May!! I know I should run in the morning but I just love running in the evening.

So, around mile 3 I was on the last stretch towards home and it was, of course, uphill and facing the sun. Wait, what is that I see up ahead? Alas, it is a sprinkler!! I literally sprinted up the hill. I uncapped my Amphipod and filled it up, not caring if the homeowners saw me or not. Surely they would understand that a red-faced, sweaty chick is justified in taking some of their water. Then I stood in the sprinkler's path and I cannot tell you how refreshing that water felt on my body. I started off again to finish the run, happy and feeling a little cooled off. But this only lasted for about 3 minutes...the damn sun is just too bright!! I managed 3.75 but it felt like so much more than that. This heat just makes running no fun and that is disappointing to me. I love running outside and not in the dark! But as summer heads our way I am going to have to change up my schedule. Boo.

2 comments:

Jessica {The Novice Chef} said...

I totally understand your pain! It has been so hot here in Florida! It was 93 the other day! UGH!

Jenni said...

Hi, Jessica! Love your blog! Where in Texas are you from??