5.21.2010

THE smoothie

I make this smoothie for breakfast at least 3-4 times a week. I used to make it with store-bought OJ, but I've found it only takes a little bit longer to use fresh oranges and it's SO WORTH IT. It's got a gazillion servings of fruit in it and starts off the day right. Okay, so it only has about 4-5 servings of fruit but that is a lot for one glass! My mom used to make these when we lived in Kingwood (TX) for a post-run snack or dinner. I usually have it on the way to work (during my 7-minute drive) and then at work I have a protein bar or cereal. Running and training means I have to eat a lot in the morning!

Mom's Post-Run Smoothie
(makes 1 huge glass)
1-1 1/2 c frozen strawberries (I usually buy 4-5 bags at a time!)
1 very ripe banana (the more ripe, the sweeter the smoothie)
4-5 small navel oranges (I buy navel because they are sweet and easy to juice--usually come in a bag at the store)

Place strawberries and banana in the blender. For the juice, I just use a cheap little hand juicer with a built-in strainer (probably bought it at Wally for $3). I not only dump the juice in the blender but any and all pulp that gets in the strainer part. I usually use enough juice to almost cover the fruit in the blender. Then just blend on high until it is all smooth! I don't like any chunks in my smoothies so I make sure it's smooth. Other than getting strawberry seeds stuck in your teeth, this is easy, delicious, and healthy!! Thanks, Mom!!

(please disregard the ugly water spots on my glass!!)


No comments: