1.05.2009

Recipe Numero Dos

This recipe has much potential...it would probably be better and more flavorful with ground beef or turkey (the creator used ground beef). I had neither so I added corn. I also didn't have any canned tomatoes or even Rotel (how could I have forgotten Rotel at the grocery store???) I also made my own taco seasoning...I'm trying to cut down on salt. The result was pretty good...I topped mine with a little salsa too. So here is the original recipe with meat...for the tomato sauce I actually used some Prego Traditional I had in the fridge. Sorry for the blurry photo!

Celeste's Mexican Stuffed Peppers

4 green bell peppers

2% cheese of choice (I used a Mexican blend)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion
instant brown rice (I used 4 servings but it was actually too much)
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 small can of tomato sauce

Taco Seasoning:
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2)
1 tsp black pepper

I cut the tops off of the bell peppers and actually boiled them for about 10 minutes (next time I probably won't boil them that long). I cooked the onions, caramelizing them a bit with a splash of white wine and then added the rice, taco seasoning, water, corn, and tomato sauce. Simmered this for a while then filled each pepper with the mixture, topped with cheese. I baked them at 350 for about 30 minutes.


2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh those look delish! So you didn't use the ground beef?

Anonymous said...

Jenni- Thanks for visiting my blog. That is cool that you added my recipe to your blog. Thanks for naming it "Celeste's..."