1.05.2009

New Year, New Recipes

Yesterday was very productive...I did all the laundry including bedding and blankets, organized and put away all the Christmas decorations, cleaned the kitchen and totally stocked up at the grocery store. I was prepared the start the week (and new year) off with a healthy bang! I was in a vegetarian mood and decided on some new meatless recipes for my lunches/dinners this week. Here is the first one I made--it was delicious and perfect for the cold night. It was my first experience making a white sauce with flour and milk...I have always been afraid of burning the milk but it worked out really well. I halved the recipe since it's just me and voila! Please pardon my photo as my kitchen doesn't have the best light in the evening.

Baked Penne with Butternut Squash and Ricotta
(Weight Watchers recipe)

2 spray(s) cooking spray
20 oz butternut squash, fresh, peeled and cubed
12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, penne
1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
2 tbsp white all-purpose flour
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Coat a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

Place squash on prepared baking sheet; roast until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Place in a large bowl and mash.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. After squash has been roasting for about 10 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in mashed squash, ricotta and 1/2 teaspoons of thyme. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat.

Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until top is lightly browned in a few spots, about 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

1 comment:

Linda said...

OK, you are making that for me next time--that looks amazing!