1.19.2009

Yummy Taco Soup

I don't really have a good pic of this soup...I pulled some out of the freezer this morning to have for lunch today and IT IS SO GOOD! The last batch I made was undoubtedly the best ever. I used my new crockpot that mom and dad got me for Christmas!! Very little prep time and easy to freeze. The perfect winter recipe...

Jenni's Taco Soup
4 servings

cooking spray
1 lb Jennie-O lean ground turkey (sometimes I use soy meat)
1 1/2 c chopped onions (use the frozen kind--so easy)
splash of red wine
1/2 t minced garlic
1 can rotel
1/2 c drained & rinsed black beans
1/2 c drained & rinsed pinto beans (could use kidney too)
1 small can of sweet corn
1 can of reduced fat vegetable broth
1 t ranch seasoning
1 T homemade taco seasoning (recipe in earlier post)

Coat a skillet with cooking spray over med-high heat. I brown the onions and turkey and add a splash of wine for liquid (helps caramelize the onions). Drain the fat--then I usually take 1/2 the turkey mixture and save it for another meal. Add the taco seasoning to the remaining mixture. Once it's all browned and seasoned, I put it in the crock pot then add all of the other ingredients. Mix it together and make sure you have enough liquid to cover everything. I cooked it on high for about 1 1/2 hours then on low for another hour. It really makes the flavors meld together and the meat gets very tender. You could add cheese or sour cream, but honestly it tastes so good I don't add anything!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Looks like you might give Mindy at Java Dave's a run for her money!