5.23.2009

Whole Wheat Pita Quesadillas

Another way to use the yummy squash from the co-op! I love these quesadillas and they are so easy to make.

2 whole wheat pitas (or tortillas)
1 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 - 1 1/2 c squash, chopped
1 T unsalted butter

Heat the butter in a skillet, add onions and peppers. I always sprinkle them with kosher salt and fresh black pepper. Let the onions caramelize...add a splash of wine (sometimes I'll mix 1 t of teriyaki sauce with water and splash that instead of wine). I like my onions and peppers a little browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Then add the squash (same recipe as yesterday except no butter or oil since the pan is already coated). Once the squash has cooked, remove it from the pan. Add each piece of pita to get it toasted on each side, but DON'T BURN IT! Now that everything is cooked, just assemble with the cheese and pop it in the oven (350) for maybe 5 minutes or less (until cheese is melted and gooey).

I serve mine (always) with light sour cream, a drizzle of finely minced jalapenos and chopped tomatoes! These are healthy and tasty!

2 comments:

Linda said...

That looks insanely good! Love the pic!

Meredith said...

Why is this the first time I've seen your blog??!!! I love it!

Are you a vegetarian? As soon as I wean Patrick, I'm going to get back on the veggie train. I might need some inspiration!

Master P says hello and GO HORNS. That Patrick... he's such a little instigator. ;)