11.20.2009

My Aching Derriere

This new, revamped workout schedule is killing me.

Since May, when I started seriously running, things have been great. I've lost weight and feel a lot better. I also added in a strength training video a few times a week (when I got around to it). But in the last month or so my weight loss has slowed and my running has not improved much. I realized I need to up my cross-training. As you can see in my Training on the side bar, I have a pretty routine schedule planned out for the next 2 months. I'm really happy with the plan, but it's going to take discipline. I haven't ridden a bike in I don't know how long...and I'm currently using my dad's bike. I purchased an indoor bike trainer and it's pretty cool. Loud, but cool. It's
actually no louder than a treadmill or indoor bike would be...and I can watch TV while I ride which is nice!

But I had forgotten how much a bicycle seat can hurt. Last night after my 3 mile run, I managed 20 minutes of pretty fast and steady pedaling. My booty really hurts today. I've been researching bikes online today (nothing fancy--just a bike I can use for training and leisure rides). I found one I really like and hope to buy (let's hope the Christmas bonus is nice this year). BUT, I doubt even a new bike will solve the hiney-to-seat ratio. Am I just supposed to get used to it? Will it eventually stop hurting?? Anyhoo, I hope to start seeing and feeling results from these workouts within the next month (just in time for Christmas candy and goodies). In the meantime I am sore and tired, but staying positive nonetheless! I start my official training for the half-marathon at the end of the year...and I'd also like to train for a triathlon. So the new
bike will come in handy!

Santa, the first item on my list this year:Ladie's Schwinn 700C Trailway Hybrid Bike
$229.99

2 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

You can buy bike seats designed for women. The ones that come on a bike are generally made for men, and women's "derriere" bones don't fit a men's bike seat. You can also buy padding for the women's seat...things like real or faux sheepskin, etc. It can be quite cushy and comfy. With my last bike, I traded out the seat before I even left the store. Not fair that if a woman is buying a bike that she should have to pay more for a seat. Now that I'm older & wiser, I'd definitely do a little bargaining on that issue before buying.

Jenni said...

I may have to look into that...thanks for the info! It's my dad's old bike and NOT fit for me. But I've gotten a little more used to it. I have asked "Santa" for a new bike, but even if I get it I'll for sure need a better seat. Maybe I'll just strap a big pillow on and go riding one day...:)