11.03.2009

No socks, no service

When I think back now I don't know why I didn't take 10 seconds to find my socks. But in the end, those 10 seconds ended up landing me in a world of hurt.

I have to run with socks. Thin, barely-there footies, but socks nonetheless. Maybe it's the chemistry and/or shape of my feet, but I cannot run without socks. So tonight my run started out GREAT. Weather, music, breathing, pace...all working together in perfect harmony. I was feeling like a 5 mile run for sure. But 1.5 miles out, I started to feel the prickly burn of blisters. They always occur in the same spot, like mirror images of each other on either foot. I turned around to head back home, hoping to keep up my pace and not rip my feet to shreds in the process. I stopped once to tighten my laces as much as I could, but I just kept on running. I knew if I really stopped, the pain would keep me from starting again. I tried to focus on my other "zoned out" thoughts that keep me busy during a run. But all I could do was wince and try to keep my form.
About a mile from home, the right foot blister popped and the REAL pain set in.
Lordy, me, when my Garmin beeped at 3.00 miles I stopped and walked the last 5 minutes home.

What really sucks about blisters is not just the initial pain, but the fact that any immediate plans to run again are majorly hindered. Strategically placed moleskin and bandaids may help, but I know for sure I'm not going to risk heading out until they are healed.

I don't know if you've ever walked 10 feet with blisters...but I ran 3 miles. I'll never forget my socks again, even if the only clean ones are thick black knee highs.


Edited to add: The real pain was not from running with blisters...it was when the shower hit them. I whined like a baby in there for a good minute or 2.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Awwww, you needed your Mommy. :(