11.10.2009

Spaghetti Squash & Simple Tomato Sauce

This was my first experience with spaghetti squash. Mom picked some up at the coop a few weeks ago. I decided to go the 'pasta' route since I've heard how the cooked squash has the consistency of noodles. AND IT DOES! I couldn't believe how easy and tasty (not to mention healthy) it was.

By the way...you don't want spaghetti sauce from a jar. This is a simple, healthy, yummy sauce that beats the store-bought stuff any day. You may tweak it to your own tastes by adding meat and/or different veggies.

Spaghetti Squash

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise (be careful--mine was huge and it was difficult to cut). Scoop out the membranes and seeds. I lightly sprinkled salt and some extra virgin olive oil on both halves. Bake for 1 hour, cut side up. Let the squash cool for about 10 minutes, then use a fork to "rake" out the inside. You'll be amazed at how the strands look just like spaghetti!Simple Tomato Sauce

1 tsp butter
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1/2 celery stalk, chopped
1/4 c white wine
1 bay leaf

28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
kosher salt and fresh black pepper


In a large saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil on medium-low. Add the onions, carrot, and celery and saute for about 2 minutes, until soft. Add tomatoes and the wine and cook for another minute or so. Add the bay leaf, salt, and pepper to taste.
I also sometimes add some Penzey's Pizza Seasoning and garlic powder. Cover, reduce to low and simmer for AT LEAST an hour. Trust me, this makes a huge difference, plus your house smells heavenly! Don't forget to remove the bay leaf when the sauce is done cooking.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I totally want you to make this for me! It looks heavenly!!

Meredith said...

Ooooooooh, I haven't had that in a while. Great idea! Thanks!! :)