10.03.2008

Another Vincent post...

I stayed up until 2:00 am last night watching yet another Vincent movie. The film, The Whole Wide World, stars Vincent as Robert E. Howard, famed pulp fiction writer and creator of Conan the Barbarian. His costar, played by Renee Zellweger, portrays Novalyne Price, a schoolteacher. The story is set in the 1930's when they met and explores their friendship and unrequited love.

The screenplay was adapted from Novalyne Price's novel penned One Who Walked Alone. The movie is beautifully written...the story is sweet, simple and sad. Vincent's portrayal of Howard is brilliant. His character acting is so incredibly believable, and his depiction of Howard's emotional struggle is truly captivating. And the score is so poignant...very subtle yet powerful. I was impressed to say the least...and I cried for about 10 minutes. I practically watched the movie 1.5 times because I went back to pivotal scenes and turned on the commentary. I believe it's Vincent with the director and screenplay writer. They explain each scene, describing that day on the set as well how they chose to film it. Vincent was of course embarrassed by the big kiss scene, but it's simply breathtaking.

My obsession has turned into pure ache, awe and admiration. This guy has really got me good.

*sigh*