2.24.2010

Ice Bath (Attempt 1)


FAIL.

After my 5 mile run Sunday and 3.5 mile run last night, my legs were feeling pretty sore. I know that icing after a run is a good idea to help with recovery...I often use frozen veggies to help with my shin splints. And I know that cool water (versus hot) is better for soothing muscles. According to Runnersworld.com,


"cold water constricts blood vessels and decreases metabolic activity, which reduces swelling and tissue breakdown. Once the skin is no longer in contact with the cold source, the underlying tissues warm up, causing a return of faster blood flow, which helps return the byproducts of cellular breakdown to the lymph system for efficient recycling by the body."

Many moons ago (when I still lived with my parents in my hometown), I would go for a long run and, due to the Texas heat and humidity, I would literally walk right into the pool after my run. Of course, I took off my shoes and headphones first :). I noticed even then how cool water made my legs feel soothed and less achy. But that was then. And that was in Houston weather.

The temp yesterday during my run was 38 degrees with a cold, dry headwind. My nose was running like crazy (per usual) and I've been sneezing ever since. Needless to say, I was NOT in the mood for an ice bath last night. But after reading up on it, I learned that a hot shower or bath is really not the best for thing for my muscles (hot water increases blood flow, muscles become even more inflamed). So I prepared for my first ice bath. I put on a comfy sweatshirt and some bike shorts, made a hot cup of tea, and headed to the bathroom. I began to fill up the tub with cold tap only (this time of year I don't NEED ice with how cold our water is). I set one foot in there and said, "No way!" I gulped down my tea, stripped out of my clothes, and jumped into a steaming shower. Elite athletes would call me a wimp. But it took a 10 minute hot shower PLUS sitting in a hot bath for 5 minutes just to get warm again. I popped some Advil and slept like a baby for 8 hours straight...but my legs don't feel all that great today.

Check back with me after the first hot run of the spring/summer season...I'll be more ready to take the plunge then.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm looking forward to the first day you run to our house and walk into the pool. :)

I wouldn't do the ice bath either!