1.24.2010

Sunday dinner

Another yummy recipe to share with you (if I do say so myself). It's a lighter version of one of my favorites: Chicken Marsala. I first had this dish at Olive Garden, probably more than 15 years ago. It has such a unique flavor. And this recipe is really easy!

Chicken Marsala with Caramelized Onions
4 servings

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
1 onion, sliced thin
1 c mushrooms, sliced (I used baby portobellos)
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t unsalted butter

1/2 c Marsala wine
1 1/4 c vegetable broth
1 1/2 T cornstarch
1 t dried thyme
salt & pepper

I had already caramelized my onions...and cried onion tears the whole time! Just thinly slice a large onion, making sure all of them are about the same size. Over medium heat, melt 1 pat of butter and 1 T of olive oil. Add the onions and give them a stir, making sure they are nicely coated. Then just keep an eye on them, stirring occasionally. I always lower the heat as they start to cook and brown. After 15 minutes or so the natural sugar in the onions gives them a beautiful golden color and they taste sweet. Remove them to a plate and set aside.


Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile season the chicken on both sides with the thyme, salt, and pepper. Move the mushrooms to the outer edges of the skillet and add the chicken breasts to the middle. Cook the chicken until they are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.

Add the wine to the pan, and simmer for 1 minute. Add 3/4 of the broth and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining broth and add to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly.

I like to plate a piece of chicken on top of a huge bed of mixed greens. Then add some of the mushrooms and sauce, and top the whole thing with some onions. Perfection. And yes, that is a nice pale ale I'm having with my dinner!

1 comment:

Linda said...

That looks amazing! I bet your house smelled fantastic.